Monday, January 23, 2006

Hands up all those parents who haven’t bought the correct school shoes!

Sitting at my post by 8.30 am, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed … I am doing uniform checks at registration! I start with hope and enthusiasm, which disappears bit by bit as I meet, greet and argue with parents and their inappropriately clad children …

I really hate to tell you this, Mrs Thingamebobby, but your son is wearing non-regulation school shoes … they need to be black leather lace-ups! And those are black joggers!
Well, they are black, and they have laces, and won’t they do???
No, they need to be black leather laceups … we let you know in the newsletter at the end of last year, where we outlined the uniform policy and asked you to be very careful when purchasing shoes.
Oh. I didn’t read that.

Sorry Mrs Ka-foops, but your daughter isn’t wearing the correct shoes.
But they are black leather shoes.
I know, but they have a strap and a button. Our school uniform policy says black leather lace-ups … it has been that for many years now.
Oh. Well, my eldest daughter wore them last year, and now her sister is wearing them.
I’m sorry, but they aren’t the correct shoes.
Oh.

Mr Hector Crawford, both your sons are wearing the wrong shoes. They are brown surf thongs, not brown roman sandals.
But we just bought them and they cost $60 each.
I know, but you have purchased the wrong shoes.
Oh.

I really am sorry but your daughter is wearing the wrong school shoes, Mrs I-Haven’t-Read-the-Uniform-Requirements. That has a big fat strap and a big shiny silver buckle and although I must agree with you that it is very attractive, that is not a regulation pair of school shoes. We have a uniform code … I don’t know why … and we need to adhere to it.
Oh.

*sigh* … and that went on for five hours. Without a break … *sigh* ... More tomorrow, if I have the strength.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharon... those are green sandals.. not school shoes.. they are not appropriate for kicking the backside of silly parents who did read the newsletter (hello that is such a cop out!) the truth is that they remember the 2 year old tantrum all too well and didnt want a teen version of it in the store... so they gave in and met the kids half way in the hope that some mean person like you would meet them half way today.. shame on you!

ps.. wear less cool shoes yourself tommorrow.. and we might take your seriously.. you know.. if we read the newsletter!

Hope tommorrow is better *S*

10:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is way too funny Sharon -- I guess when my girls start school, I have to either read the uniform requirements or hope that Sharon Kenealy is not checking their uniforms - lol!!! Have a good week. I hope it gets better!

10:19 pm  
Blogger Sue (aka Susieq2u) said...

Just doin the rounds and thought Id pop in - There'll be no stopping you now you have cable! Of course, you wont be able to use d/u any where anymore coz you won't have the patience - at least you have a little to have survived your day - on the flip side - I am sure schools put out newsletters just so they can say "it was in the newsletter"! LOL! I do read mine (most of the time, anyway!) Hope tomorrows better or at least an even more interesting array of footwear. Maybe you could make a competition of it!!??!

1:29 am  
Blogger Jo said...

Now that we've heard about the foot wear lets hear about the REST of the uniforms?? lol~spiked hair in neon colors?? ummm...maybe a tube top thrown in for good measure? LOL~hope tomorrow is better!

5:18 am  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Oh, you poor thing!! Our Primary has a really easy dress code, and they STILL can't get people to stick to it. Nature of the beast, I think.

I LOVE those snazzy green sandals though.!! They are definitely on the uniform list for hip digi-scrapping bloggers!!

8:59 am  
Blogger Kelly Byrom said...

lol, hilarious... at least no one threw a shoe at you or anything. Sounds like you are going to have another fun day tomorow!

2:18 pm  
Blogger katef said...

I lurk on your blog and love it(thanks to Peta's link) but just had to post a comment on this one... gosh you reminded me of my first day of year seven... I was sure no one else would have the daggy lace up kind of black school shoes even though my Mum promised me everyone HAD to wear them... and she was right! BTW... love your non regulation shoes... I want some!

8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home