Look left, look right ...
I had an adventure today. Michael and I were driving back from the shops to pick Tashy up after ensemble practise, and it was raining gently. I came up behind a scooter, ready to turn left into a main road, when the scooter went out from under the rider, right in front of me. I was going slowly and had no trouble stopping, and fortunately a dozen cars behind me stopped too. I put my hazard lights on, told Michael to stay put, and jumped out to see what I could do. The girl in the car behind me did the same thing, and we discovered a young girl of about 19 pinned under her scooter.
We managed to pull the bike off her, and pushed it up onto the pavement, then went back and helped her off the road too. My 4WD with its hazard lights flashing was easy to see, and I didn't want to move it till she was safely off the road, in case someone accidentally ran over her. I think she was unconscious for a few seconds after she came off the bike, because she wasn't moving at first. Fortunately, she seemed okay, as she sat on the wet grass on the edge of the road.
She rang a work mate nearby, who came after about 20 minutes. During that time, I stayed with her (after I moved my car off the road to let peak hour traffic pas). As she sat there waiting, a bus went by and her sister looked out the window and saw her sitting on the grass. She promptly got off at the next stop and hurried back to see her, and was so distressed, she started yelling at my poor patient when she saw she was ok. When her workmate arrived, she took her under her wing, made her ring her dad (who also yelled at her!) and I felt happy enough to leave her, after I left my name and number.
I learnt a couple of things from this experience today ... my husband also rides a motor bike, when he is not riding his pushbike to work. I hope if he ever has an accident, someone will stop and make sure he is ok. The young girl (I don't even know her name!) said she had fallen off her scooter once before, and people had driven around her!!! Can you imagine the callousness of that? I also learnt that I need to have a blanket in the car ... she needed something around her as she went into shock, and I had nothing to keep her warm. And I also decided that my children will NEVER ride a bike, if I have anything to do with it. Be safe, everyone ... more next time!
We managed to pull the bike off her, and pushed it up onto the pavement, then went back and helped her off the road too. My 4WD with its hazard lights flashing was easy to see, and I didn't want to move it till she was safely off the road, in case someone accidentally ran over her. I think she was unconscious for a few seconds after she came off the bike, because she wasn't moving at first. Fortunately, she seemed okay, as she sat on the wet grass on the edge of the road.
She rang a work mate nearby, who came after about 20 minutes. During that time, I stayed with her (after I moved my car off the road to let peak hour traffic pas). As she sat there waiting, a bus went by and her sister looked out the window and saw her sitting on the grass. She promptly got off at the next stop and hurried back to see her, and was so distressed, she started yelling at my poor patient when she saw she was ok. When her workmate arrived, she took her under her wing, made her ring her dad (who also yelled at her!) and I felt happy enough to leave her, after I left my name and number.
I learnt a couple of things from this experience today ... my husband also rides a motor bike, when he is not riding his pushbike to work. I hope if he ever has an accident, someone will stop and make sure he is ok. The young girl (I don't even know her name!) said she had fallen off her scooter once before, and people had driven around her!!! Can you imagine the callousness of that? I also learnt that I need to have a blanket in the car ... she needed something around her as she went into shock, and I had nothing to keep her warm. And I also decided that my children will NEVER ride a bike, if I have anything to do with it. Be safe, everyone ... more next time!


7 Comments:
Not the best kind of adventure to have, I hope the poor girl is ok tomorrow and her family is sorry for yelling at her!
I hope the same thing for hubby when he rides the bike and I make him ring or MSN me every morning to make sure he gets to work ok :) Glad you were able to help her out!
What a good person you are!
I once came upon an accident (truck and car), the pickup truck was on its side in the corn field and in the car, a young girl was unconscious laying halfway on the ground and halfway still in her seat. Such a scary and traumatic site. The girl woke up shortly and desparatly wanted into my warm car, so I let her. The emt's were not happy that she moved. Everything turned out okay though, but it really made a lasting impression on me.
Ohh wow Sharon that would have been such a fright and I don't think I'd have been able to drive away either!!
What a story!
wow, what a story! congrats to you for stopping to help! there is nothing like the shock of an accident. isnt that always how it is... if your not hurt, you get yelled at, haha.
What an eventful day, I am shocked that people could drive by in a situation like that. I know what you mean about your kids and motorbikes..... not even going to think about that.
Oh yeah, I come from a family of motor bike riders... I love them, but they are not the safest form of transport. It's not them you have to worry about, it's all the other ppl that expect them to act like cars.
Good on you for helping - there are NOT enough people in the world that do that for others anymore.
YAY for you! I am so proud of you! Great example to the kids. I had two conditions on marrying Andrew.. no bikes and I got to keep my maiden name. I changed my name to surprise him... (about 8 months in) and was so excited I told him on the way home... he got distracted by a bike going past and commented on it not my name change..kinda ironic.. but he certainly will never ride a bike. And neither will Lochie.. they are not safe (because of others, as much as themselves).
Andrew had an accident yesterday.. over 3 hour round trip to get him.. he is fine, car is not, but he is fine! and thats all i care about.
yay for you for stopping!
Post a Comment
<< Home